Hantavirus, a rodent-borne disease, has been blamed for the deaths of three recent Yosemite Park visitors. Here are some precautions to help minimize the risk for the infection:
- Before occupying abandoned or unused cabins, open them up to air out.
- Inspect for rodents and do not use cabins if you find signs of rodent infestation.
- If you sleep outdoors, check potential campsites for rodent droppings and burrows.
- Do not disturb rodents, burrows or dens.
- Avoid sleeping near woodpiles or garbage areas that may be frequented by rodents.
- Avoid sleeping on bare ground; use a mat or elevated cot if available.
- Store foods in rodent-proof containers and promptly discard, bury or burn all garbage.